We have below summarised some of the best stops as you meander through this beautiful region:
- Barossa scenic drive: This 57 Km long drive is suitable for all vehicle types and does not require specific skill levels to complete. It takes in the following picturesque stops along the way; Bethany, Angaston, Nuriootpa, Greenock, Seppeltsfield, Marananga and Tanunda. The route is well sign posted and hence minimal map reading is required allowing you to take in the sights and sounds of the local area. Stop for wine tasting, photo opportunities and kangaroo spotting along the way.
- Barossa Heritage Trail: This trail is arguably the highlight as it takes you through over 170 years of early settler history. It is rich in notable attractions including museums, historic buildings and gourmet restaurants.
- Towns of Angaston, Bethany and Tanunda: Heritage is the key theme of these three towns, all in the Barossa region.
- Angaston: This is well preserved town and certainly worth the short drive to. Still embracing a village atmosphere with quaint shops, tree lined streets and historic buildings. The drive is more than relaxed with frequent stopping opportunities allowing one to absorb the best this area has to offer.
- Bethany: A twelve kilometer drive from Angaston is the historic town of Bethany. First settled in 1842 by 28 Prussian families, the town now offers numerous local attractions. At the centre of these is the town church as well as numerous cellar doors.
- Tanunda: Tanunda is only a stone’s throw from Bethany and makes for a good brief stop. The word Tanunda comes from the local Aboriginal dialect meaning “water hole”. This region is particularly good for landscape photography especially pastoral scenes.
- Speed: Slow and steady is the best way to enjoy this route, speed has been a key contributing factor in many serious accidents.
- Vehicle Loads: Take care when loading the vehicle and as far as possible, try and keep the roof free of weight. This will reduce the chance of vehicle roll over.
- Vehicle Checks: Perform all basic mechanical checks on your vehicle prior to commencing your journey. If you have arranged car rental in Sydney, if possible, it is advisable to pay extra to obtain a car with ABS brakes and Vehicle Stability Control.